I made sausage rolls for dinner last night and they were sooo good. Ingredients list:
- 20g breadcrumbs (I used gluten free)
- 50ml milk (rice, dairy or soy)
- 50ml red wine
Mix these ingredients together and leave to soak while you do the rest
- 450g mince (I used pork, but you could use beef, veal or a combo)
- 400g can tomatoes (diced)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot, grated
- a handful of parsley, chopped
- a few sprigs of marjoram, oregano and thyme fresh from the garden
Mix together with the bread mix
- Savory pastry sheets (puff, potato based gluten free etc)
I used 20cm x 20cm squares of pastry for each sausage roll. They were big as each one served one person for dinner. The mix will easily make 4 large rolls or a bunch of smaller ones. They freeze well too.
When the zucchinis are in season I’d also grate these into the mix (and any other vegetables that take my fancy).
We served this up with a salad fresh from the garden which also included some of the Borlotti beans. Like the bean seeds the Borlotti beans have that purple stripping on them, however, when they are cooked they go a rich green all over and taste great. Originally we had planted them just to harvest the seed but picked young they taste great whole.
Sorry no pictures, nothing survived long enough *grin*