I had a fantastic day today playing with dyes at Rochana’s. We started the morning carding some of the washed fleece and moved onto painting it with Ashford dyes.
1) Carder + washed fleece (more on the washing method later when I wash a little more )
2) We soaked the carded bats for about half an hour in luke warm water until it “bloomed” (I still don’t know what that really means). After soaking we covered the bench in cling wrap and pulled out our mixed Ashford dyes. Using paint brushes we painted strips of colour (teal, green, black and rust) until the entire fleece was painted
3) We wrapped the painted bats up in the cling wrap and placed them outside in the sun to keep warm then put them in the oven on 100 degrees Celsius for several hours.
4) the end result drying
5) dried bats, as flat as crepes
6) I pulled the bats into strips and put them back through the carder and they all fluffed right back up
7) I split the roving to make slivers for spinning (*note to self, take photos and show how Rochana taught you to split the bats)
I’ll update with photos of the spun wool in a few days.